Vorum silver stain method
Silver stain method
Vorum Silver Stain Method
1) Fix 2-18 hrs. (50% MeOH/12% HoAc, 0.05% formalin), 1 liter/gel
2) Wash three times in 35% EtOH/water for 20 min
3) Wash twice in distilled water for 10 minutes
4) Sensitize 2 min with 0.5L of 100 mM sodium thiosulfate, 30 mM potassium ferricyanide
5) Wash in 0.5 L water for 10 min. four times
6) Stain 20 min. with 1 L 0.2% silver nitrate, 0.076% formalin
7) Wash in water 1 min. twice
8) Develop till dark enough with 1 L of 6% sodium carbonate, 0.05% formalin, 0.0004% sodium thiosulfate
9) Stop 5 min. with 1 L of 50% MeOH/12% HoAC
10) Store in 1% HoAc/water Desiderio Silver Destain
11) Water 5 min (3X)
12) Destain whole gel 15 min. with 1:1 v/v 30mM potassium ferricyanide and 100 mM
sodium thiosulfate prepared fresh
13) Water 5 min. (10X)
14) Proceed to Vorum procedure and fix for 2 hrs and redo silver stain
*Destain is useful if background darkens faster than the protein bands or if the gel is not stopped quickly enough and is generally too dark.
Vorum and Blum procedures: presented at 48th American Society for Mass Spectrometry Conference on Mass Spectrometry June 11-15 2000, Long Beach, CA, poster TPE 191.
Desiderio procedure: R.R. Becklin, E.S. Umstor, D.M. Desiderio, poster WPF 216, 48th American Society for Mass Spectrometry Conference on Mass Spectrometry June 11-15 2000, Long Beach, CA
For an excellent comparison of visible staining procedures see:
Lin JF, Chen QX, Tian HY, Gao X, Yu ML, Xu GJ, Zhao FK. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2008 Apr;390(7):1765-73.
Comments can take the form of short reviews, notes or questions to the author. Comments will be posted immediately. If reported by the community, we will temporarily hide the comment to determine if the comment is spam or harassment. If it is not, it will be unhidden, and it cannot be reported again. If you think a comment has been hidden or unhidden mistakenly, please contact us at [email protected].
Posted 05 Jan, 2010
© Research Square 2020